A best man speech should necessarily be humorous, genuine, and above all, inspiring. It should bolster the atmosphere of the occasion and shouldn’t be boring and uninteresting. If you are an incoming Best Man and here looking for best man speech examples, I tell you this: during your speech, your audience will be expecting you to make them laugh and be entertained. What you need to do is to give them the opportunity to do so.
And it won’t be hard, once you get a hold of these best man speech examples I have here. Your speech needs to be entertaining from opening, middle, and closing, with lots of jokes and witty remarks thrown in between. Whether you want to share a story which reminisces your friendship with the groom or the bride, whether you want to assassinate the character of the groom in a whimsical manner, or whether you want to be sentimental in celebrating the success that is the marriage of your friend and his lover, we got it all in a complete list below.
They say that the most difficult part of any speech is the opening spiel, mostly because it will set the mood of the speech. And also, all the preparation was built up towards this moment, so it is sometimes nerve-wracking. A very common stance is to address the nervousness in the speech, like in the following samples below:
- Ladies and gents, if there’s anybody in this reception hall who’s beginning to feel jumpy, uneasy and sick at the thought of what lies ahead, it’s probably because you have just got married to Edward Hannigan.
- Good afternoon everyone. First of all it is my honor to thank all of you for becoming a part of James and Allison’s wedding celebration. For my part, I wish you’d just all stayed at home and relieved me of my pre-public speaking anxiety.
If you are requested to welcome the guests or to thank the people for coming at the wedding, you can use these one of the most comical best man speech examples below:
- I know that a lot of you travelled from all different places just to come here to Arnold and Patricia’s wedding, so we thank you for such a tribute. They will truly make a fantastic pair and I’m ecstatic that things have been well for them so far. On a different note, because of this wedding I’ve met a lot of Arnold’s relatives for the first time. Regardless of what he’s been saying, I think you’re all alright.
How to Rib the Groom
Funnily enough, the Best Man speech is one of those speeches where you sort of “ridicule” somebody in front of the audience but get away with it. Here are some ways to assassinate the groom’s character in front of everyone in his own wedding:
- Actually, as I was brainstorming for my speech, John mentioned clearly that I should steer away from embarrassing him. I think he has misconstrued that his life story interested anybody. So, before I begin with telling you the stories, I shall share to you some obligatory biography about the groom: he was born, he went to school, he got a job, and now he just got married. Enough said! Now, on to the good stuff!
- What can you say about a man who came from humble beginnings and is now quickly rising to the very top of his profession based solely on intelligence, grit and the willpower to push on where others might fail? A man who is beginning to distinguish himself amongst his peers and where none can say a bad word against him? Well, that’s enough about the best man. I’m here to talk about Paul Wilson.
Complimenting the Bride
Opposite of ribbing the groom, is complimenting the bride. You should never forget to describe how beautiful the bride is on her wedding day, and how lucky the groom is for having married such a beautiful person. Here are some sweet compliments for the bride (for best effect, take the microphone and then turn to the bride):
- Sarah, I have gotten to know you since you met Mark and I am so proud of my Best Friend that he has married such a caring, gorgeous, warm, loving girl like yourself. Ladies like you don’t come along too often in life and I mean the word “lady” in every sense, you are the perfect couple.
- Sarah, you look sensational today and are such a beautiful, caring, loving person. Your delightful personality, glorious smile, generous nature and caring warmth are just some of the many reasons why John should consider himself the luckiest man in the world.
Finally, here is how you can end your best man speech with a bang. It should be sentimental, short, passionate and sweet. Here are some best man speech examples of toasts you can take inspiration from:
- Here’s to the bride – may she share everything with her husband…and that includes the housework. Here’s to the groom, a man who kept his head even while he lost his heart.
- May your love be added, may it never be subtracted, may your household multiply, and may your hearts never be divided!
- Here’s to the prettiest, here’s to the wittiest, here’s to the truest of all who are true, here’s to the neatest one, here’s to the sweetest one, here’s to them in one – here’s to you!
Other Bits and Pieces
There are still a lot of topics that you can add to your speech, all of them equally hilarious and entertaining. Some of them include addressing your friendship with the groom, or sharing an anecdotal story you have with the couple, talking about marriages and love in general, and much more. You can find a lot more other helpful and insightful complete best man speech examples in this link below: