Among all the speeches in the world, figuring out how to write a best man speech for the newly-wedded couple may be the most difficult. Why? Because first of all, you are expected to be the wedding’s “best man”! You need to be funny, clever, while at the same time sharp and gentlemanly. It is imperative that you will be able to thoroughly please the crowd with your speech, while at the same time sounding genuinely passionate with what you have to say. Your speech has to be creative or else you’re run the risk of looking like a complete idiot with no idea on what to do on occasions like these, at all.
But don’t fret! Clearly since you’ve come to this page, you’ve sought for ways to prepare for the momentous event. And we will reward your resourcefulness. In this article we’re going to teach you how to write a best man speech – what should be included, what should be omitted, how you should structure it, and more.
How to Write a Best Man Speech – Before Anything Else
The speech of the best man needs to accomplish three things. First, you need to be able to demonstrate why you were chosen to be the best man. Second, you need to be able to recall the relationship of the wedding to couple in relation to you, and how it flourished in front of your eyes. Third, your speech needs to have a congratulatory bit at the end, where you wish them all the best in their marriage.
Now, with all these in mind, it becomes easier to write a best man speech. You already have a lot of things to talk about in the span of five minutes (which is the conventional time span for best man speeches).
How to Write a Best Man Speech – What to Include in the Speech
1) As you may know, all speeches start with an introduction, a body, and a conclusion. The introduction and the conclusion can be fairly generic so unless you want it to be extremely different from other best man speeches, you can start off by standing up and saying “Excuse me, may I have everybody’s attention please. I’d like to take a few moments to say a few words about our bride and groom. My name is (insert name here) and I am the best man for this wedding.”
For the wrap-up, it could be something as simple as “I wish you a happy marriage and congratulations”, while at the same to raising your glass. By now, you’d have already figured out that the body of your speech is what will make all the difference.
2) Remember why you were chosen to be the best man. This is where you’ll draw all your ideas from. Ask yourself, how do you know the couple? How did the groom introduce you to the bride for the first time? How would you describe their relationship? How would you describe your relationship to them?
3) Whether you like it or not, you are expected to tell a funny story about the bride and groom’s relationship, so tell it in earnest. However, remember to make it funny, not humiliating. There’s a clear difference between the two.
4) You can start by giving your own thoughts on love and marriage. If you are married, then better. Don’t get too serious about it though; focus more on the lighter aspects of marriage. Remember, this is a wedding reception, not a philosophy class.
5) You may know the groom better than the bride, but as much as possible talk equally about them, and better yet, talk about them as a couple, not as individuals. Think of at least five adjectives to describe the groom, the bride, and the relationship. That will help out a lot.
How to Write a Best Man Speech – What Not to Include in the Speech
1) Inside jokes. In writing a best man speech it should always be your aim to connect to the audience as well as the couple. An inside joke that only a few people could understand won’t help you make your case. Talk to the crowd in general; involve them in your speech as much as possible.
2) Ex-girlfriend stories. You may have met some of your friend’s past flings and may be tempted to talk about them in the wedding. Don’t. Just don’t.
3) Green jokes. Remember that this is a family-friendly affair. There are kids who will be listening to you, so stay away from green humor for the mean time.
Now, what you need to do is to take some few note cards and write important bits you will include in your speech, so you’ll never forget what to say. Always keep it shorter than five minutes because anything longer than that will become a downer in such a festive activity. And finally, don’t pressure yourself too much and enjoy the reception! Talk to guests, friends and family, to take your mind off of nervousness.
If you are still out of best man speech ideas and you feel like you won’t be prepared for it regardless of what you’ll do just because you’re extremely nervous about it, or even if you just want to immensely improve your speech, you can take a look at these sample best man speeches here: